Monday, June 21, 2010

Love Your Body: Positive Ads

Love Your Body: Positive Ads

School officially lets out tomorrow.....Yay.....we'll maybe for a while. With that comes the summer weather, skimpier outfits, and yes, the dreaded bikini, or for some of us less daring the one-piece bathing suit. For some of us, our insecurities seem to run rampant at this time. We want to be in shape, and tan for the summer months. Unfortunately, our image of beautiful, has been pre-determined for us by the actresses, models, or performers we see in the media. As much as I have enjoyed shows like "Friends", and "Desperate Housewives" throughout the years, the size 2 - 4 that drapes the women on these shows is usually unattainable for most women. As for myself, I would look like a prepubescent boy in that size, but some women are naturally that size, and God Bless Them. My prayer for myself and other women, is to love the body you're in, treat it good 'cuz it's not going anywhere. Take care of it now, because you'll be thanking it later.

I looked over the negative ads on this site, and they are the exact negative ads that bombard me in the various magazines that I read. The women may be thin, but where is the glow? Some of them look like they are on crack (they may possibly be)....They all look submissive in some way. Notice that there is usually one woman in the ad, kept alone, isolated. I believe these ads are capable of driving anyone to an unhealthy addiction, check out Calvin Klein's ad I believe it's an advertisement promoting eating disorders.

But thankfully, some advertisers are getting it! KUDOS to advertisers like Dove, Cover Girl and Liz Claiborne for bringing out the healthy, natural beauty of a women. I especially love the advertisement for Liz Claiborne, the girl is a natural, beautiful, healthy looking girl, who glows. The same with the older-aged woman in the Dove advertisement, she is definitely comfortable in her skin, and proves you are beautiful no matter how old you are. Queen Latifah looks majestic as a queen in her ads for Cover Girl, she shines with her poise and confidence. I would love to see more advertisers jump on the bandwagon, I'm speaking to you especially Dolce and Gabbana and Calvin Klein because I love your products, as most of us do! Our young women and men need to see real beauty, that comes in all shapes and colors, without any assault being taken upon them, and without them looking like they are intoxicated in some way. As one of my favorite songs by TLC goes, they try to make you feel "Unpretty", and that buying into their disturbed image is the answer. I think we all are smarter than that!

2 comments:

  1. Jill- I love the Cover Girl and Dove ads, too! They always make me feel better about being a woman- realizing we are all uniquely beautiful. Thanks for stopping by my blog again- I do remember you talking about writing your book!- Way to go- Keep writing, girl! I'll be looking out for it here on your blog! You've really been faithful to write- it will be neat to see the finished product! Well, blessings to you, Jill, and Happy Summer! ---Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I try to steer my children away from mainstream stuff but I know that at some point it's unavoidable. I wish everyone could be comfortable in their skin, although I must confess sometimes I am guilty of worrying over trivial things like weight, etc. ;) Great blog topic!

    ReplyDelete